Friday, June 15, 2012

Canning Figs, and Kosher Dills

I manage some times to even impress myself, when i am able to come home from work and put up some deliciousness. On Monday one of my coworkers gave me some Figs, I have never seen a real fig before, as far as I knew a fig came wrapped in a cookie! So I managed to can up some Fig Jam! I also got some pickling cucumbers from a farm down the road from me and put up some Kosher Dill Pickles, I cheated though I just used a bag of seasoning!

Fig Jam
3 pounds fresh figs, washed, stems removed
2 cups granulated sugar
Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon

Preparation:
In a large saucepan, combine the figs, sugar, and lemon juice and zest. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and continue simmering, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens. When the mixture gets quite thick, begin to stir constantly to keep from scorching.

While figs are cooking, prepare the jars and lids. Fill the jars with the hot fig jam mixture, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads with a wet paper towel. Add hot lids and rings. Process in water bath at a full boil 10 minutes.
Makes 4 half-pint jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment