Friday, January 25, 2013

Fireplace Total Makeover....


I couldn't do it anymore, I could not look at my ugly fireplace with a hearth that extends the length of my room. 


  
Really what I was thinking is... who In their right mind would build a fireplace hearth that long? Look at all of the space that is taken up! 


So last night I googled what "could" be underneath this hearth! Everyone everywhere said more then likely it was just some 2x4's that were framed out and some plywood. I went out into the living room and told my dear husband that it was time, that I needed the tools to just knock out one brick. 


This is what my "one brick" started with, because after one brick we still thought there was just plywood and that it was framed out. So I figured whats a few more going to hurt. Do you see what I see? My dear friends that is not a framed out fireplace... oh no that is a fireplace that was built with bricks all the way through! 


Every time we do a project in this house I question what the people were thinking when they "remodeled" the place and added a 20 foot hearth, fireplace, raised ceilings, and crappy baseboards (thats another story). You see these under layers of brick weren't even secured in, just sitting there. Only the top layer of bricks got any cement and it was like it wasn't filled in completely either.



This is where I left it this last night, with all of the major parts broken up. Now its a matter of throwing it all in a will barrow and taking them outside. I guess this is being determined as my project for this weekend, to clean up my Thursday night google fiasco! 

PS I am super happy about this... do you know what I can do with all that unused space? 


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you end up doing!

    So, your garbage guys will take bricks? Our wont and I have a huge pile of them in my backyard that I want to go AWAY! Far, far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know if they will take bricks or not, but we have a giant hole in our backyard where a pool used to be that we need to have filled in with dirt. We stuck them in there figured it was less dirt we would have to buy lol!

      Delete